Click HERE for a printable copy of the following information.
Youth Minister Job Description & Duties
Including Desired Personal Attributes and Qualification of the Candidate
Tulip Street Christian Church - Mitchell, Indiana
The youth minister at TSCC is responsible for leading the church’s youth ministry for grades preschool – 12.
Youth Minister Responsibilities
Responsible for the development, implementation, and oversight of programs, activities, and education for TSCC youth grades preschool – 12. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working in conjunction with the lead pastor and church elders to create and implement an overall vision for youth ministry.
- Implementing the church’s vision for youth ministry through the development, recruiting, leading, and mentoring of youth ministry volunteers.
- Organizing and participating in effective teaching, mentoring, and discipling of the youth of TSCC and our community, including through involvement in VBS, church camp, youth conferences, day outings, retreats, mission trips, service projects, etc., as well as through engaging students in the overall ministry of TSCC.
- Coordinate curriculum throughout all age groups within the ministry.
- Work to develop small groups within the Jr. and Sr. High age groups.
- Work with office staff to record student participation to help track attendance and help with follow ups on new students.
- Working with parents in equipping their children to grow in knowledge, faith, and service as they move toward adulthood.
- Personal engagement with students active in the church’s youth ministry including knowledge of and attendance at some of their school and community activities.
- Communicating effectively with parents about their child and the youth ministry.
- Keep the TSCC congregation “in the know” regarding what is going on within the ministry.
- Creating a welcoming environment that fosters enthusiasm, community, and love for Jesus Christ and one another.
- Help to include students in other ministries throughout the church so that they can make connections with adults within the church and be a bigger part of “church life”.
- Active engagement with other area youth ministers and with local schools.
- As the youth ministry at TSCC grows, possibly working with and/or supervising an additional youth minister so that the different age groups within the ministry can be effectively ministered to.
General Ministry Responsibilities
- Participate with the other leaders and support staff in the general duties of church supervision and administration.
- Work with church staff and leadership in creating and implementation the church’s overall vision for ministry.
- Attend and participate in staff and leadership meetings as required by the lead pastor and elders.
- Perform other pastoral duties as needed and assigned by the lead pastor and elders.
- Have dedicated office hours to allow for availability to youth and their parents.
Desired Personal Attributes and Qualifications
Applicant should have a:
- Strong and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ as a baptized believer.
- Passion for youth and their desire to know and experience Christ.
- Desire and ability to connect with youth on multiple levels, whether it be different ages or different interests.
- Desire and ability to build meaningful relationships with youth, their parents, and others at TSCC and within the community.
- Desire and ability to work well with a team.
- Kingdom mindset. The priority is honoring and obeying God.
- Aire of humility that allows for the acceptance of constructive criticism.
- Ability to honestly and tactfully share with youth that are working through personal struggles.
- Proficiency in the use of technology and social media that allows them to better communicate with youth.
- Strong command of oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to keep themselves and their workspace organized.
- Willingness to learn and receive additional training as required to increase ministerial competence.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Youth Minister Application” with the following attachments:
- Your resume. (including work history, qualifications, references, & letter of recommendation)
- A recent photo of you. (and family if you wish)
- A statement, no longer than one page, on your philosophy of youth ministry.
- A link to your preaching/teaching if available. (Preferably video, but audio is acceptable if no video is available.)